save our birds and our environment
Newsflash - July 2014: The NZ government is backing calls to increase the use of aerial
1080 poison. Currently, each year, four tonne of poison is dumped over more than a
million hectares of NZ's bush, forests and farmland, so we are asking
IS NEW ZEALAND REALLY SO CLEAN AND GREEN?
1. 1080 (sodium monofluoroacetate) IS A CLASS A TOXIN LETHAL TO ALL THAT BREATHES AIR,
including mammals, birds, bats, insects, lizards, koura, etc. The aerial application of 1080 poison is banned in the U.S. due
"THE EXTREME HAZARD TO HUMAN HEALTH AND THE ENVIRONMENT." (From the USA Environmental Protection Agency)
2. 1080 IS INHUMANE - ANIMALS AND BIRDS CAN SUFFER FOR HOURS, EVEN DAYS BEFORE DYING. Conveniently hidden in
the bush, 1080 is responsible for killing countless creatures.
3. 1080 KEEPS ON KILLING MANY MONTHS AFTER IT IS DROPPED.
Non-target creatures can be poisoned through direct or secondary poisoning, and so it goes on through the food chain.
4. 1080 IS AN INDISCRIMINATE CLASS A POISON WITH NO ANTIDOTE. In more than 50 years of 1080 use in NZ, thousands of
family pets and valuable farm stock have suffered the cruel death of 1080 poisoning.
5. 1080 IS A REPRODUCTIVE TOXIN WITH LINKS TO ENDOCRINE DISRUPTION, having the potential to affect breeding and
cause abnormalities in the unborn foetus.
6. THE EFFECTS OF CONTINUED 1080 USE ON OUR ENVIRONMENT, OUR ECOSYSTEM, ON ENDANGERED NATIVE SPECIES
AND HUMANS IS UNKNOWN. Urgent and immediate research is required.
Kiwis want a safe place to live, work and play. Stop aerial poisons NOW, before it's too late, for us and future generations.