save our birds and our environment
July 2014: The NZ government backs calls to increase the use of aerial 1080 poison.
Currently, each year, more than four tonne of this indiscriminate and deadly poison is
dumped over more than a million hectares of NZ's bush, forests and farmland, so we ask
IS NEW ZEALAND REALLY SO CLEAN AND GREEN?
1. 1080 (sodium monofluoroacetate) IS A "CLASS A" TOXIN LETHAL TO ALL THAT BREATHES AIR. It is also an extremely
effective insecticide, killing not only the insects at the bottom of our food chain but mammals, birds, bats, insects, lizards,
koura, etc. either directly or through secondary poisoning. The aerial application of 1080 poison is banned in the U.S. due
to its "EXTREME HAZARD TO HUMAN HEALTH AND THE ENVIRONMENT." (From the USA Environmental Protection Agency)
2. 1080 IS INHUMANE - ANIMALS AND BIRDS CAN SUFFER FOR MANY HOURS, EVEN DAYS, BEFORE DYING.
Conveniently hidden in the bush, 1080 is responsible for killing countless creatures.
3. 1080 KEEPS ON KILLING MANY MONTHS AFTER IT IS DROPPED.
Non-target creatures can be poisoned through direct or secondary poisoning, and so it goes on through the food chain.
4. 1080 IS AN INDISCRIMINATE CLASS A POISON WITH NO ANTIDOTE. In more than 50 years of 1080 use in NZ, thousands of
family pets and valuable farm stock have suffered the cruel death of 1080 poisoning.
5. 1080 IS A REPRODUCTIVE TOXIN WITH LINKS TO ENDOCRINE DISRUPTION, having the potential to affect breeding and
cause abnormalities in the unborn foetus.
6. THE EFFECTS OF CONTINUED 1080 USE ON OUR ENVIRONMENT, OUR ECOSYSTEM, ON ENDANGERED NATIVE SPECIES
AND HUMANS IS UNKNOWN. Urgent and immediate research is required.
Kiwis want a safe place to live, work and play. Stop aerial poisons NOW, before it's too late, for us and future generations.
Check this out!